The Rudolf G. Schade Archives at Elmhurst College is open to faculty, students, staff, and other researchers by request. All researchers must follow specific procedures ensuring preservation of records, in order to retain use privileges.
A. User Community and Physical Access
The Archives is accessible through the College Archivist by appointment only. Researchers must adhere to the following conditions of use:
- All researchers using archival materials must work under the direct supervision of the Archivist or a member of the Library staff. Under no circumstances will researchers work alone.
- Library staff will retrieve archival materials from the Archives and reshelve them when researchers have finished.
- Researchers, whether faculty, students, staff from other departments, or others, may not remove materials from the Archives at any time. Researchers will register and provide identification via the Researcher Information form before using materials. A copy of the Archives Reference/Access policy will be available to all researchers.
- Researchers will store briefcases, coats, and other large items in a designated space in the Archives.
- Researchers may use one document box at a time and may remove one file folder at a time from the box; they must take care to retain the order of papers within the file folder.
- Researchers will handle papers with care, being careful not to lean on or write on top of archival materials. Researchers will handle photographs and other fragile materials with cotton gloves, which will be provided.
- Researchers may use laptop computers for note-taking in a properly supervised area. If researchers take handwritten notes, they must use pencils.
- Researchers may not use cameras or cell phones in the Archives without express permission from the Archivist.