Convert a PowerPoint presentation into a large format poster using PowerPoint 2007
This method of plotter poster creation is intended to be the quickest way to create a large scale poster.
It is important to ensure that prior to following the steps as outlined below, that your PowerPoint is complete and error free. If you notice a mistake after the file type conversion you will have to start the process all over again.
Step 1: Open your existing PowerPoint Presentation
- Open the PowerPoint presentation that you wish to convert to a large format poster. It is highly recommended that you condense your presentation down to 9 to 12 slides. Exceeding 12 slides will reduce the readability of the poster and is more difficult to format.
Step 2: Save-As “Windows Meta File”
- To change the file format, go to FILE (office button) and choose “SAVE-AS” then“OTHER FORMATS”. Save in the “Windows Meta File” format. First, choose the location to which the files will be saved. Next, rename the files (optional), and finally, access the “Save As Type” drop down menu and select “Windows Meta File” and then click the “Save” button.
- Choose to convert either “Every Slide” or only the “Current Slide.” Unless you are making a correction to a single slide, choose “Every Slide.”
- Finally, confirm the Conversion. PowerPoint will organize the slides into a separate folder. The dialog box reminds you where your meta file slides have been saved.
Step 3: Create New PowerPoint File / Download Template File
You have two options: create a new PowerPoint File from scratch or download one of our poster templates.
- Create a new PowerPoint Presentation file and resize the page size (recommended size for 9 slides: 50″ wide x 38″ tall, or for 12 slides: 54″ x 40″) by selecting the “Design” tab, then the “Page Setup” button.
- See Template links found on the Printing Resources page of this guide.
- Resize the page width and height to either 50″ wide x 38″ tall (recommended for 9 slides) or 54″ wide x 40″ tall (recommended for 12 slides). You may choose alternate page dimensions, however, the smallest dimension cannot exceed 42″ due to paper size.
Step 4: Insert Slides (Windows Meta Files)
- You are going to insert all 9 to 12 slides that you converted from your previous PowerPoint Presentation file. To do this, select the “Insert” Tab and click the “Picture” button.
- Next find the location of where the slides (in Windows Meta File format) were saved. Select all slides by pressing CONTROL-A or by highlighting all slides using your mouse. Press the INSERT button to complete the importation of your slides.
- Organize and resize each slide. To move a slide, click and drag the slide to the desired location. To resize the slide, click the slide to select it then click and drag one of the eight (circular) points on the slide to the desired size.
- Save your work. You are now ready to print.