General Searching Tips:
- Use the ISBN that is provided by your professor or the bookstore for the quickest searching.
- Make sure you’re buying the right edition of the text – ex. don’t show up to class with the 2008 version if your professor wants you to use the 2011 version.
- Check if there is media, such as a CD or a workbook, included with the textbook that you’re required to have. Many online sellers or renters will not include these supplemental materials.
- If you’ve got the time, compare prices between the bookstore and websites, and make sure to include shipping in your overall costs.
- Check return policies before you buy, especially if you are buying before you get your class syllabus – you don’t want to be stuck with the wrong textbook!
- If your class requires a book that is a “non-textbook” – ex. literature, plays, popular fiction – you’re in luck! Try finding the book in our library catalog or the I-Share catalog, or get a cheap used copy because there are sure to be many available.
Elmhurst College Book Cellar
- 9 AM – 6:30 PM Monday-Thursday
- 9 AM – 2 PM Friday
- Closed weekends
- Hours vary during the summer or other breaks
- Location: on the lower level of Goebel Hall
- (630) 617-3185
- Returns: You can return your textbooks for full credit up until the Friday of the first full week of class.
- Rentals: 100% of the textbooks can be rented. They have to be returned during the week after finals; check with the bookstore for specific return dates.
- Books are available 4-8 weeks before the semester starts, with the exception of J-Term, which varies.
- You can buy, rent, or swap books via the website.
Textbooks on Park
- Monday 9 AM – 6 PM
- Tuesday-Thursday 9 AM – 5 PM
- Friday 9 AM – 2 PM
- Closed weekends
- Extended hours during the beginning and end of College of DuPage’s semester
- 10 South Park Boulevard
Glen Ellyn, IL 60137-6211
- (630) 545-9100
- Returns: 7 days before scheduled start of classes – no exceptions!
- Carries textbooks for College of DuPage, but has other materials available as well.
- Monday-Saturday 9 AM – 10 PM
- Sunday 9 AM – 9 PM
- Bloomingdale Court
366 W. Army Trail Rd.
Bloomingdale, IL 60108
- In-Store: Product availability and pricing will vary.
- Online: HPBMarketplace has a wider selection of new and used textbooks than the stores.
Better World Books
- Your money goes to a good cause
- 100% free shipping
- Large selection, easy-to-use interface
- Free shipping means you’ll wait longer to get your books
- The company offers some used copies, but most will come from the Marketplace, meaning less-reliable independent sellers
- Shipping: “Most used books are processed in 1 business day, new books in 2-3 business days. Business days do not include weekends or holidays.” Free shipping will take up to 2 weeks to reach you, or choose expedited shipping for an extra charge.
- Returns: They will accept returns within 30 days, but unless they made some error with your order, you are responsible for return shipping costs.
- Lots of books available for cheap prices
- Multiple sellers with various degrees of reliability
- You pay for shipping and your books could take a while to reach you
- Shipping: “In general, items shipped via Media Mail should arrive in 2 to 9 days from the time of shipping. In some instances, Media Mail shipments can take as long as 30 days to arrive.”
- Returns: Unless there was an error with your order, all sales are final.
- You already have an Amazon account
- Large selection of new and used materials available
- Used books are being shipped by an independent seller, which means you have to pay for shipping and the quality is not guaranteed
- Shipping: Costs vary between independent sellers; most items ship for $3.99 and are received within 14 days.
- Returns: If you buy from Amazon you can return the book within 30 days. If you buy from an independent seller, policies vary, but overall you have 30 days to postmark the item for return, and you have to pay return shipping charges.
- Hint: use your elmhurst.edu email address to sign up for an Amazon Prime account and get free shipping on some items, as well as other perks!
CampusBookRentals.com or Chegg.com
- More flexible than a bookstore because you can choose a 60, 80, or 130-day rental term
- Minimal highlighting is allowed, but writing in your rented textbook is not; they’re pretty strict about this.
- They’re also strict about how and when you ship the books back, otherwise you could be charged fees or the entire cost of the book.
- Textbook Rentals.com allows you to compare rental options side-by-side.
While You’re Waiting…
If you still haven’t received your textbook but you need to do some reading, try looking it up on Amazon.com or Google Books. Both of these sites have preview features that will let you read some pages or even chapters from the book. Or you can try searching some free e-book resources to see if your book is listed.